Karwa Chauth Gifts Worldwide
Women cook delicious dishes to celebrate the festival of Karwa Chauth. Check out these recipes and try some of the traditional tastes on this special day.
Karwa Chauth Recipes
No festival in India is celebrated without the preparation of tasty food. Karwa Chauth is an ancient tradition celebrated by married Hindu and Sikh women in the Northern part of India. Women fast from dawn to dusk, praying for their husbands' happiness and long life. This holy fast is broken on seeing the moon, offering prayers and by receiving food and water given to them by their husbands. Several splendid dishes are prepared for everyone in the family on this special day. These dishes may be traditional or modern, depending on the family customs. Many kinds of sweets and savories are prepared during festival of Karwa Chauth. Here are some traditional recipes for Karwa Chauth festival for you to celebrate this Karwa Chauth along with some tasty and scrumptious food. Try them on this special occasion and treat all your loved ones with amazing tastes. Happy Karwa Chauth!
Broken Wheat Kheer
- Broken wheat - 1 Cup
- Water - 2 ½ Cups
- Cornflour - 2 tsp
- Freshly grated coconut Milk - 1 Cup
- Jaggery - 1 Cup
- Cardamoms Powder - 2 tsp
- Mixed nuts - ¼ Cup
- Cook the broken wheat with water in a pressure cooker for approximately 8 minutes.
- Make sure, that the wheat does not get overcooked. Next, mix the coconut milk with flour to make a paste.
- Transfer the cooked wheat into a pan and boil on low flame.
- Add the prepared paste to the cooked wheat and boil.
- Add the mixed nuts, jiggery and cardamom powder and mix the contents.
- Let the contents boil until you get the desired consistency.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Potato - 10
- Tomato - 4
- Red Chilli - 3
- Garam Masala - ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Water - 2 ½ Cups
- Peppercorn - 15
- Dhaniya Powder - 1 ½ tsp
- Jeera (cumin) - ¼ tsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Fresh cream - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for flavor
- Peel and prick small potatoes.
- Heat oil in a large pan and fry the potatoes until they become golden brown. Now keep the fried potatoes aside.
- Grind tomatoes into a puree and keep it aside. Now, blend all the masala powder together in a grinder.
- Heat oil again a pan and fry the jeera seeds and masala powders. Now, add the tomato puree and continue frying.
- Add the fried potatoes into the mixture.
- Pour the water, add some salt and then stir well. Allow the ingredients to cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Take the pan off the flame and add lime juice and mix well.
- You can fresh cream and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Whole wheat - 2 Cups
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Chopped fenugreek leaves - 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Make the dough by mixing wheat, oil, salt, fennel seeds and water.
- Knead well to make the dough soft.
- Add the fenugreek leaves to the dough and knead again.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and then flatten them into rotis.
After the moon rises, the women offer their prayers and then they look at the moon through the sieve. They break their fasts by having the first sip of water. The women thereafter indulge in delicious food that is offered to them. Try these mouth-watering recipes and make your Karwa Chauth special.